Q: clutch not working properly - 2003 Mazda Protege5

I let someone drive my Mazda Protege. She called me and said she thought my clutch went out. I have 3rd and 4th gears only. Does anyone have any insight on how this happened? The car drove fine earlier today for me. Could it be just the clutch causing the problem?

Hello, a transmission expert will need to further diagnose the issue. There are several other things we will need to know to further determine the cause and solution. Most likely, there has been a failure with a component inside or on the exterior of the vehicle.

Clutches do need to be replaced often, but the frequency depends on how often and how hard the vehicle is driven. Often a vehicle has so many miles put onto it from the same driver, that a different driving style can cause components to be run in ways they are not used to. This may stress and break electrical components, or any of the mechanical components inside of the transmission. It is not recommended that you rebuild the transmission or attempt to disassemble the transmission without a guide or assistance from a trained technician. If you want to have this diagnosed before moving forward with any repairs, a certified technician from YourMechanic can inspect the clutch and resolve this issue.

3. clutch not working properly - 2003 Mazda Protege5