Q: Clutch not disengaging (can't change gears) 1998 Mitsubishi Galant

So I was taking off from first when the clutch pedal all of a sudden went straight down to the floor and would not return. I am not able to disengage the clutch had to drive it home in second. At first I thought it was the slave or master, it's not. I pulled the release fork boot off to find metal rings around the shaft infront of the release bearing and infront of the diaphram fingers. I believe my release bearing may be shredded but I am unsure. Pedal travels to the floor and stays there clutch does not disengage to change gears.

Hi there - great diagnostic work, I believe you are correct in diagnosing a completely failed clutch throwout bearing. Replacement of the clutch assembly is, unfortunately, now in order. Don’t forget the pilot bearing while doing this service - it can keep the transmission input shaft from releasing if it seizes. Unfortunately, clutch replacement is not a service YourMechanic can offer at this time. Thanks for thinking of us though!

3. Clutch not disengaging (can't change gears) 1998 Mitsubishi Galant