Q: Clutch Chatter When Shifting in to 1st Gear

I have a 1998 jeep wrangler that a year and a half ago I replaced the throwout bearing, pressure plate, flywheel and pilot bearing on. Once this was installed the jeep chattered in 1st gear so I would usually shift right into 2nd gear. Long behold a month ago the throwout bearing went on me (probably from shifting directly into 2nd), although there was no excessive wear on the pressure plate or grooves in the flywheel. I replaced all of the components again, mainly so I would not have to worry about any flywheel issues. When my car first starts the clutch is very smooth shifting into all gears. However, after driving for over 10 miles the clutch will chatter when going into 1st gear from a stop. I can't imagine that this is a flywheel issue because I checked it prior to installing and I had a similar problem with the other installation. Do you think this is a slave cylinder issue?

A: Hello. A clutch chatter will be due to a co...

Hello. A clutch chatter will be due to a couple of possible problems. Have the motor and transmission mounts checked to make sure none of them are broken. If all the mounts are good, then the only other problem is going to be a sticking clutch slave cylinder or release bearing. Make sure you are using a good high temp slide grease on the front of the transmission where the release bearing slides. If you push in and slowly release the clutch with the engine not running after it has warmed up, watch the clutch movement while someone pushes in the clutch and releases it slow. You should not see any jerking when the clutch is released slowly like you were releasing the clutch to engage first gear. If you see jerking, then the release bearing is binding or pressure plate is binding. If it releases smooth, then you have a warped flywheel or hot spots on it and will need to replace it. A qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect the shifting problem and assist with proper repairs.