Q: Clutch bad in vehicle

I believe my clutch might have gone out, or the pressure plate is bad. My transmission started slipping while I was driving up a mountain. The engine runs fine, and I hear no grinding of the clutch. The stick shifter moves freely without the clutch being engaged, and the clutch seems to move smoothly when pressed, not requiring much pressure to apply.

Hello. From the symptoms you provided, it appears that your clutch is worn-out, or the friction material has come off the clutch disc. This is a major job that requires a qualified technician who does heavy duty work to replace the clutch assembly.

You may also need to have the flywheel resurfaced to insure smooth and correct operation. This is almost considered maintenance work on a vehicle with a manual transmission, so it should not be considered unusual. In either case, my recommendation is to hire an experience mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to run a detailed diagnostic on your bad clutch, and recommend the best path to repair.