Q: Clunking sound while shifting from first to second gear - 1995 Jaguar XJS

While I'm shifting from first into second gear, I've noticed a clunking sound at the moment of shifting. Then I can drive as I usually do and there are no other issues. The car start up and runs well. What could be making this sound and is this normal?

A: Hello. There are several possibilities here...

Hello. There are several possibilities here. Two common causes could be a worn driveshaft universal joint or a worn or broken transmission or engine mount that is allowing the transmission and engine to move about too much - possibly hitting the frame or exhaust. If you want to have this looked at, a certified technician from YourMechanic can inspect the noise to have this issue addressed.