Q: Clunk front left

Clunk heard over bumps is intrrmittent, steering does not affect noise. No obvious malfunction on inspection by 3 mechanics. Strut bushing and bearings replaced, old ones looked fine. Noise sometimes when starting out w quick acceleration, sometimes when stopping. Now suspecting lower control arm bushing or sway bar bushing. Often I can drive for a while w no noise. Shock appeared Ok, no dead spots.

A: Hello. I would start by checking the lower ...

Hello. I would start by checking the lower control arm bushings. If they are worn or even stretched a little, then this would explain the problems you’ve been experiencing. If the bushings are fine, then the issue may be in the steering intermediate shaft. I have changed a lot of these on this vehicle as the small joint in the shaft wears and makes this clunking noise. It can be removed and checked for looseness, but most of the time, I can tell that it is the problem just by listening to the noise. If you are planning on having this steering clunk repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect this issue.