Q: Climate control won't work - 1986 Oldsmobile Delta 88

I had a new a/c compressor installed but I noticed a wire with a plug on it but there is no place on the a/c unit for it to go! So now I can't use the heat because the inside switch don't work however they did before

A: It is not uncommon for there to be unused e...

It is not uncommon for there to be unused electrical connectors on a car. The manufacturer uses the same harness on all car of the same year and model. This way, they don't need to set up an assembly line for each vehicle with different options. It is cheaper to do this than to have two or more different assembly lines. That being said, it is definitely possible the connector was left unplugged as a result of the repair. One thing is certain, if you had a new compressor installed, it should have left the shop working. So, if the system doesn't work, you should take it back to the shop that worked on it.

If the problem is the inside switch, this may be a new failure and most likely isn't the result of the repair. It is the timing of the failure that is suspect. I can tell you from personal experience, just as parts break on the customer at seemingly random times, these random times happen while your car is in the shop on a regular basis, especially with an item such as a switch. It's pretty hard to break a switch, but they do fail eventually.

With that said, the switch may or may not be the problem. Either way, I would take it back to the same shop and give them the opportunity to fix what they may be responsible for. Not that I think they are, but at the very least, they will likely take good care of you because of the perception that its possible they did cause your problem.

If you want a certified mechanic to take a look at your car, have one of YourMechanic's mobile professionals come to your location to determine why the switch is faulty and suggest any needed repairs.