Q: Clicking when shifting

The alternator is giving me trouble. I hear a clicking when changing the gear from first to second.

Unfortunately the information provided is limited on your Ford Edge, so it will be difficult to provide a proper diagnosis. If the alternator is creating problems, then it is likely not charging. When it does not charge, your Edge will only run under battery power for a few minutes. This is a concern that does need to be diagnosed in person to confirm if there is alternator trouble.

Now the clicking sound when changing gears is likely independent and can be related to the transmission. Having the ear of a professional certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, would necessary to listen to the problem and inspect the correct area of your Edge so you can feel confident in you vehicle again.