Q: Clicking that changes as speed changes, play in the driveshaft

My car has around 120,000 miles on it. The other day, there was this clicking sound that could be heard. Scraping and clicking sounds would change the speed as I accelerated or decelerated. There was also some shaking when that happened. When I looked under the car, I noticed play in the driveshaft, which is in the rear end, near the joints. It is somewhere between the rear driveshaft and the front one. The front driveshaft can be easily mover and rotated. What could be worn here? What should I replace? Thanks.

A: It sounds like you have problems with the d...

It sounds like you have problems with the driveshaft U-joints being bad. Have a mechanic replace the U-joints and inspect the driveshaft for any damages that may require the driveshaft to need to be replaced. If you have excessive play in the rear end, then you have a worn out pinion bearing or a bad bearing. This may require a complete overhaul of the rear differential. You may have to replace the rear axle assembly if the housing got damaged. I would have a certified technician inspect the clicking sound for you to verify what repairs will fix this.