Q: Chirping belt

About 2 weeks ago I notice a chirp coming from under the hood. I knew it had to be the belt, but I just changed The belt and tensioner about 15,000 miles ago. The belt is in good shape although I notice slight fraying on the sides. The tensioner seems to be working fine. When it's running I notice that the crank shaft pulley is slightly wobbling, I'm thinking this is causing the squeak. Is this routine maitenance and what all would need to be replaced? I had the car running for about 30 seconds with the belt off, and the pulley is wobbling still just no chirp without the belt. I'm definitely willing to do it myself I just need to know what I need and the process.

Hi there. This sounds like either the crankshaft pulley has loose attachment bolt(s) or the pulley has been damaged. The wobble evidently is pushing the belt against something which is fraying the edges as you note. I would determine the problem with the crank pulley, repair/replace it, then install a new, undamaged belt for long-term reliable operation. To have this checked, I recommend having the noise from the belt diagnosed by a certified professional in person so that the proper repair is made.

3. Chirping belt