Q: Chevrolet Aveo 2010, the heat gauge goes to max - coolant tank is empty - every 6 weeks or so.

The thermostat was replaced 5-6 months ago and since then I have had constant problems with the heat gauge monitor. Every 6 weeks or so (about 4 times since Feb) the car overheats and the coolant tank shows empty. However we can't find a leak or problem anywhere so can not diagnose why the tank is leaking. One mechanic it was an air bubble in the thermostat, and another said that was not possible. Is either of them telling the truth, and what could be causing this?

There is probably a leak. Not all leaks are "external". For example, it is possible that coolant is leaking into the engine, for example into the cylinders, where it vaporizes and leaves with the exhaust. If that is the case, you might see white smoke or condensation in the exhaust. Overheating itself can "cause" a leak as coolant is forced out of the reserve tank onto the ground and when the car cools down of course there will be less coolant in the tank. It is possible you have both an underlying overheating condition, due to a fault in the cooling system, and a leak. The best thing to do is request an overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this issue taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Chevrolet Aveo 2010, the heat gauge goes to max - coolant tank is empty - every 6 weeks or so.