Q: Checking the engine functioning by listening

How can I tell if the engine is running great just by listening?

3. Checking the engine functioning by listening

Q: Toyota Corolla misfire on number two.

In many cases, misfires can be diagnosed by swapping components from the missing cylinder with the components of a functioning cylinder. Then you check the scanner to see if the misfire moves. It can be time consuming, but most auto...

Q: 2004 Nissan Altima- Won't move when the code reads p0420 on the scanner. Did my transmission go? Is it my catalytic converter like code said?

Hi there. The code P0420 means that the catalytic converter is below threshold and cannot burn off any emissions in the exhaust stream. The O2 sensors have pickup this fault and put the engine into limp mode. As for the...

Q: Sputtering, misfiring, power loss and gain

Hey there: There are usually two different mechanical problems that cause the symptoms you're describing with your Pontiac Firebird. The first and most common is a problem with the ignition coil, (especially in mid-90's GM V-6 engines) or due to...