Q: Checking control arm bushings

I just want to go about checking to see if control arm bushings are bad?

A: The tire bolts are on the one end and this ...

The tire bolts are on the one end and this end goes to the body so it can pin it up and down. When they get worn, that pinning is off. You can look at it with a flashlight, to see if they are broken and if there are any problems with them. But a lot of times, they are only worn so much that they only have a problem when they have a load on them and you stop hard.

So what you are going to do is—when there’s no one around going 30–35—hit the brakes really hard. If one side makes a strange braking noise, when you are jacking it up and you pull on it and you really can’t see any play, but it does it when you slam it — these are times when you should check for the one arm control bushings.

I’ve got a video about finding a source of sounds in your car and that really works well. It’s one of these wireless sets where you stick sensors in different areas of the car and wear a headset and then you push a little receiver where you hear the noise and where it’s coming from. You can pinpoint stuff pretty good with that. The kits like that you can find for 100 bucks and they are pretty handy for finding noises and seeing if bushings are bad.