Q: Check transmission light appears on rough terrain

When driving over a bumpy terrain, the check transmission light appears. Also, when I'm changing gears, my SUV revs up higher. The lights do go out when I turn off the vehicle and then turn it back on. After that, everything performs normally. This occasionally happens - not all the time. What is your advice to fix this ‘check transmission’ light malfunction?

The transmission light coming on indicates a fault being sensed by the transmission control module. The first step would be reading this fault out. Because there is a delay in shifts, this could be a gear monitoring fault as the transmission program expects to see a specific ratio between input and output speed of the transmission even when a shift occurs. Ford does not have a TSB out for a faulty pressure control solenoid, but depending on the build date of your vehicle this could cause erratic shifts. The fix would be to replace the valve body. You may want to consult with a professional mechanic in order to inspect the transmission light in person to recommend the correct repair.

3. Check transmission light appears on rough terrain