Q: Check Engine Soon light on

The Check Engine Soon light comes on and then car dies at a stop light. It always starts again and then the light will go off after a day or two. Today the light came on, and it jerked a lot and lost power off and on. I had it checked recently, but nothing showed up during the diagnostic.

If the Check Engine light comes on, there is most certainly something stored in the memory. There are several types of codes that can be stored. Hard codes are things that are faults the computer picks up with your car as soon as you start it. Soft codes are faults that happen every once in a while. Both are usually stored in the memory even if the light is off. The third thing we can look for is what is known as "Freeze Frame Data". This is like a mini movie that the computer records when a fault is occurring. I would definitely seek the help of a qualified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to help inspect your Check Engine Light issue. It might help to mention the possibility of looking at the freeze frame data being stored.

3. Check Engine Soon light on