Q: Q: Check Engine light is on

Was told that the Catalytic Converter needed to be replaced with 02 Rear Sensor because the Sensor can not be installed without replacing the Catalytic Converter.
My question is why can't the Rear 02 Sensor be replaced without replacing the Catalytic Converter

If I remember correctly, the 2006 Jetta has their second bank O2 sensor hard wired into the front portion of the catalytic converter. This would necessitate replacing the catalytic converter if the second bank O2 sensor is faulty. However, this video shows how to replace the downstream O2 sensor in a 2005 Jetta. You might want to review this and then verify that the O2 sensor is hard wired into the top of the Cat on your 2006.

3. Q: Check Engine light is on