Q: Q: Check engine light is on

My check engine light is on and been told my evap is bad. I've tighten the gas cap . The engine came back on when turn heat on.

An evap code can be set due to a number of reasons. A loose gas cap is one of them. Also, a poorly sealing gas cap can be the cause. depending on where you live, you may be able to get a local repair facility that does state inspections to check the gas cap for you. They will have the equipment as checking the gas cap is part of a state inspection. Auto parts stores typically do not have the equipment. If the cap is bad, simply getting a new one should clear up the issue. If the cap tests good, then the problem lies elsewhere. The charcoal canister or evap purge valve can be at fault.

If the gas cap is not the issue, have a certified technician look into the evap fault to find the exact cause.

3. Q: Check engine light is on