Q: Check engine light illuminated car runs 5 mins shakes and cuts off. 2004 Chrysler Crossfire

Car had been sitting at my mother in laws house for a little over a year. She never cranked it. She gave it to us, we drove it home with no problems. She mentioned the check engine light coming on and going off over an extended period of time. She never had it checked. Now the check engine light is permanently illuminated it cranks, runs for 5 mins, shakes and cuts off. It wont crank back up right away but if I wait maybe an hour or so it'll crank run for five mins and repeat the previously mentioned process..

A: Hey there. You most likely have one of two ...

Hey there. You most likely have one of two problems. The ignition module or fuel pump in the tank is getting hot and shutting down after the 5 minutes.

First, I recommend having the computer scanned to see what codes are stored for the Check Engine Light. Have the codes read to shed light on the possible problems.

The car should also be tested for spark at the spark plugs and fuel pressure at the fuel rail on the engine to see if the engine is loosing spark or fuel, and then go from there. For help having this checked, a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, can diagnose the stalling problem to pinpoint any needed repairs.