Q: Check Engine Light control board balancer

Ten months ago my check engine light came on. I had an electrical failure in one of the control boards. The balancer in the engine was the where the problem probably occurred. It failure was fixed after replacing the board. Then it happened again 2 weeks later with sensor codes 0016, 0017 and 2004. The mechanic suggested pulling the motor, replacing the timing, and the balancer. Do you think if the sensor was replaced it would fix the problem? Thank you.

A: Hello. The balancer is the main cause of th...

Hello. The balancer is the main cause of this on your engine. They fail all of the time and need to be replaced. Depending on the age of the engine, you can simply fix the balancer issue, but if the engine has a lot of miles, then it is better to replace the engine as it is more cost effective to replace the entire unit. If you need to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the Check Engine Light codes and let you know what should be done next.