Q: Check engine light

I had a check engine light come on and the code said trans range sensor I change the part fixed the light stayed off for a while week then it came back on and then it went off within a day or so and it came back on then another day went back off again within another day what is the problem

Hello and thanks for writing in. It sounds like you may have a faulty speed sensor in your transmission. The speed sensor reads the rotational speed of the reluctor wheel, located within the transmission. The speed sensor also controls the anti-lock braking system. Driving with a bad speed sensor usually causes the ABS to malfunction and can lead to loss of braking power and/or an accident. When this is not working properly, you may also notice the transmission hesitating to shift gears, erratic tachometer readings, the speedometer not working properly or the odometer not working properly. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.