Q: Check engine light blinks and power restricted

Check engine light flashes and power restricted

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. I'd be happy...

Hi, thanks for writing in. I'd be happy to help.

The power restricted mode is a safety feature on many cars that the computer in the car uses to force the shut down of the vehicle in order to avoid further damage and to keep the car and driver safe when there are parts that may be failing. This can happen for many reasons such as a bad oxygen sensor, faulty mass airflow sensor, faulty ignition coils, faulty throttle position sensor and many other possibilities.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs as needed. The technician will have a diagnostic scanning tool that can be used to download codes so we can further determine how to tackle this issue.