Q: Check engine light and dash lights intermittently on

A couple weeks ago, I had my engine oil, transmission, brake fluid, and differential oil changed. The day of the service, I felt my car shaking. The mechanics looked it over, but told me they didn't see anything wrong. The shaking problem stopped for the last two weeks, but then today, I noticed that my transmission didn't seem to be shifting. I was going about 25 mph. The tachometer went all the way up to 4,000-5,000 rpms when I accelerated. The check engine light, VSC light, and 4WD/TRAC lights came on intermittently, would stay on for a couple seconds, then go off for one or two minutes. I pulled over, but when I started moving again, the problem disappeared. This morning, I took my car back to the mechanic, and they pulled a U0131 code. The mechanic recommended I take my car back to the dealership for some sort of calibration. If the lights only came on one day, and haven't been on since, do I need to do this? What might cause that kind of problem?

The U0131 code is for a loss of communication with a module and it may be a computer issue that caused the problems you’ve had. This may be why it went away when you restarted. These types of issues may be an intermittent problem that may need extensive pinpoint testing or a problem with the connections at one or more modules.

Since the code is specifically for a body control module communication error, and most if not all generic scanners cannot access this module, I recommend having the dealer scan the system to test and check if they can locate the module problem. If you want a second opinion on this, reach out to a certified mechanic who can diagnose your shaking and shifting issue.