Q: Chech Engine light keeps coming on

When my engine light started coming on, I noticed whenever I attempted to excel, it would hesitate or stall for a second as though I lost power. It started about 2 weeks ago and happening more frequently. I took it to a mechanic who does not specialize with Volvos, but did a diagnostic that says it's my fuel regulator sensor. However, when I tried to find that part, I couldn't find it. So my question is could the diagnosis be wrong or the part called something else, or maybe I don't know where to look. I checked FCP Euro parts (specializes in Volvo parts). It couldn't be found. My car is a: 2007 S60 2.5t.

Unfortunately there could be a multiple culprits behind why your vehicle would hesitate while accelerating. Due to this and there not quite being enough information, it would be difficult to give you a proper diagnosis here. While it may be possible that your Volvo’s fuel pressure regulator may be faulty, it is really just one of a different dozen possibilities that could be causing your cars symptoms. The camshafts on your vehicle are oil actuated and adjustable, therefore if one of your Volvo’s camshaft variable valve timing solenoids, or the adjustable cam gear itself, is faulty, this can also duplicate the symptoms you are experiencing.

Information that would be helpful include if the check engine light is on, and if so, does it blink while under acceleration? I would then ask if the timing belt service has been performed and if so, what the mileage of the vehicle was when it was replaced? I would then verify if the oil is checked weekly and if it is currently low and or dirty. Dirty and low oil will not allow the variable valve timing to work correctly and the car will bog down when you attempt to accelerate it.

Since this situation could be a number of possibilities, I would recommend enlisting the help of a certified technician from YourMechanic to come by and take a look at your Volvo in person so they can provide an accurate diagnosis.