Q: charges

My dealer is charging $400 to diagnose my 2003 Camry's problem because he said the car was too old to put on a computer. The diagnosis is I need 3 new wheel bearings at $150 each. Shouldn't this come out of the diagnosis money? Is this a normal charge?

Hi there:

In most cases, the charges to diagnose a problem with a vehicle are separate from the repair services. Best example I can give is that a doctors office would charge a certain fee to see why some part of your body is injured, and if you need surgery or medicine to fix it, this is a different charge or service. Same thing applies for car service and diagnostic work. In order to effectively fix any mechanical problem, a professional mechanic needs to spend time correctly diagnosing what’s damaged so the right repairs can be made. I hope this answers your questions.