Q: Charge warning light. Ran over extension ladder on interstate.

Replaced the battery and charge system warning light came back on. PepBoys charged $15 to tell me alternator needs replacing at $600. Have suspicion that may be something caused by running over extension ladder on interstate. Next day began to smoke with rubber burn smell in vicinity of alt belt. That is when charge warning started.

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. I’d be hap...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to help. I’d recommend to first see if the issue lies elsewhere before replacing the alternator, in case it doesn’t need to be replaced. It sounds like the collision with the ladder did damage something. The damage should be identified, and we should see if that damage affects the alternator at all. It is possible that the alternator itself is OK, but wiring and/or the belt was damaged. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs as needed.