Q: Changing to synthetic oil

My 2000 Honda Accord needs an oil change. I am wanting to change to synthetic oil, but I don’t know what type of synthetic to switch to? Full synthetic, synthetic blend, or stay with conventional oil. I would prefer to change to synthetic. The car has 100,000 miles on it.

A: Your car would be happy to make the switch ...

Your car would be happy to make the switch to either a full synthetic, or a synthetic blend; both would be an upgrade from a conventional motor oil. Full synthetic oil will be the most expensive, but it also yields the longest change intervals, reducing the frequency of your oil changes which should offset the added cost of the oil. The most important part of switching to a new oil is to be certain that you are still getting the correct viscosity oil that the manufacturer recommends. If you would like to know more about synthetic vs conventional oils, read here.