Q: Changing auto fluids in a timely manor

I have a 2009 Jeep Compass with 19,500 miles----I have not been following the transmission and radiator requirements from the manufactuer for changing fluids because of the low mileage. I called a reputable transmission place for advice---he said I could wait longer to change fluids because of the low mileage---I just want another opinion if this is ok. thanks

It is always best to follow the recommended maintenance schedules that are set by the manufacturer. All lubricants are given a mileage and time interval to be changed due to the degradation of the fluids ability to not only lubricate, but to also keep from breaking down over time. Fluids will lose their ability to clean the engine, protect from moisture, and be able to do their job in general. So, even if the mileage is low, I would still follow the manufacturers recommendations. If this is something you would like to have addressed, contact a certified mechanic, like the mobile mechanics available at YourMechanic.com.

3. Changing auto fluids in a timely manor