Q: Lifter ticking

changed over to castrol 5 30 full synthic in my 2010 5.3 vvt now i have a lifter tick

Hello, Depending on where you are located and the operating temperatures your truck is typically subjected to, you may need to change your oil to a 10w40 oil. As you may know, the lifter ticking sound you get when the engine is started up is usually a result of the oil not reaching the lifter valley quick enough to lubricate the lifters, which results in the ticking sound you hear. The numbers you see on the bottle of the oils depicts their respective viscosities at low and high temperatures. The first number shows the oil’s viscosity at low temperatures and the last number shows the oil’s viscosity at high temperatures. The ‘w’ means winter, implying the viscosity at which the oil will flow when the car is starting or at low temperatures. The 5w30 oil will flow better at low temperatures than the 10w40 oil will. This means that the 5w30 oil will protect the engine better at low temperatures, usually when the engine is just starting or during weather conditions such as winter. At high temperatures, the 5w30 oil is thinner than that of 10w40 since 30 is lower than 40. These numbers, however, do not depict the actual viscosities of the oils at extreme temperatures. Depending on your location and the weather in your area, these numbers may apply differently to your specific vehicle and situation.

3. Lifter ticking