Q: change a thermosrat on a 2004 VB beetle 1.8

I have taken the thermostat out twice and booth times it leaks. I have only seen on the videos of only one mechanic use silicone, do i need to do this or is this some one that is missing with us that are trying to save a few bucks. Only one mechanic has shown this steep, if i need silicone what do i use for this application or what to ask for, thanks.

Make sure that all of the old gasket material is removed and that the surface is clean and dry before installation. Sometimes, gaskets will leak due to an unclean surface or uneven surface. By using RTV (silicone), it fills in the voids and helps with sealing. I use both black and orange RTV for high heat applications.

Don’t use too much, just a light smeal across both surfaces is enough. You don’t want the sealant to squeeze out and cause a blockage somewhere in the system. Your local parts store will have the RTV sealant you need. If you need help with this repair, a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, will be able to complete the repair or replace your thermostat for you.

3. change a thermosrat on a 2004 VB beetle 1.8