Q: Chain guide lost the top-fixed guide bolt

when the 2.2 ecotec engine lost the top fixed guide bolt allowing the guide to shatter and shier off the bottom bolt. when this happened, did this scrap the engine?

Assuming you are referring to the timing chain guide, this may not have necessarily ruined the motor. However, you will have a mess on your hands to clean up. If the bolt has been lost somewhere inside the motor, hopefully, the engine has not been run since this happened. If this is the case, the entire engine will need to come apart in order to find all of the pieces to this bolt in order to ensure that no trace of this is left inside the motor.

In the event that this happened when the motor was running, you would have likely experienced a very loud noise and would have almost immediately shut the motor down. In this case again, you will have quite a bit of internal damage and the motor will need to come completely apart to determine the damage. I would recommend having a local expert inspect the car in person for a diagnosis of the engine. From there, they can advise you on the best actions to take.

3. Chain guide lost the top-fixed guide bolt