Q: CEL bad bearings alternator

My check engine light is on and a mechanic told me the bearings were bad in my alternator is causing the engine to run allot louder then it should. Do you know what the problem is? How can it be fixed?

A: Hi there. Thanks for writing in about your ...

Hi there. Thanks for writing in about your 2008 Mercedes Benz C350. If the alternator is failing and not supplying the right voltage to the system, then this can cause the Check Engine Light to come on. If the bearings are failing then the alternator will make a lot of noise. If this is the case, then the alternator needs to be replaced. If you want someone to give this a second look, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the louder-than-normal noise and replace the alternator if needed.