Q: CD changer locked open.

My CD changer is locked open. A Mechanical Error warning is flashing. I cannot use my GPS with the unit locked open.

The CD changer is equipped with a mechanical motor that opens and closes the loading mechanism. Over time this plastic motor either strips out or just stops working. There are some electronic rebuilders available that can repair this unit, but the best repair is replacement. I have seen a lot of these units fail and I replace them with one from the dealer. Your other option is to upgrade the system with an aftermarket unit.