Q: Catalytic converter/sensor replacements

Hey my 2005 volvo v50 needs a new catalytic converter as well as a couple of sensor replacements. My mechanic is estimating $2500 for parts and labor, and says the converter alone is going to be like $1400. I live in CA so I know our smog rules are a bit more tight but this still seems like a LOT of money.

Hi there:

Although you might live in California, the parts and cost estimate they’ve offered you has nothing to do with tighter smog rules. All replacement parts sold in the United States must be CARB (California Air Resources Board) approved or must have a CARB EO (executive order) stating they don’t negatively impact the emissions of a vehicle. Volvo replacement parts are very expensive, however, it’s likely that the mechanic is charging an up charge on the parts - as I’ve found the OEM parts online for $975 + $100 core charge. You might want to get a second opinion for your catalytic converter replacement by one of our mobile mechanics.