Q: Cars starts but sputters and shuts off after running a mile or 2 or any need of gas to accelerate.

We replaced the IAC valve and the car ran for 3 miles and began to sputter and stop. It is evident that the gas is not flowing freely to accelerate the car and then it shuts off. It take 2 or more hours to get the car started again. What needs to be done, can you guys repair it and approximately how much will it cost for the complete job. Finally how long will it take to repair? Thank you!

Hello there. From your description it sounds like you are on the right track with a fueling issue. Common causes of engines that run poorly are fuel issues, clogged fuel filter, fuel pump going out, engine misfires. It appears your vehicle is currently unsafe to drive until the issue is diagnosed. You did not state whether the Check Engine Light was on, I will assume it is with the vehicle dying. The technician will first check for codes and see what is there. Then they will have an idea if it’s a fuel issue, electrical issue, or mechanical part failure and know what systems to test. If you need further assistance, contact a technician, like one from YourMechanic, to inspect the stalling issue and replace any failing parts.

3. Cars starts but sputters and shuts off after running a mile or 2 or any need of gas to accelerate.