I have been restoring this 68 impala for a good year now and i cant seem to figure out if this is a wiring issue or a bad starter? i purchased a new battery, and installed it , i went to go start the car i turned the key and the lights came on but as soon as i go to push the ignition button it makes a single click noise and turns off all my power to my car. What do i do?
My car has an automatic transmission. Is it a bad starter relay?
Hi there. If you are working on an older OEM Impala, it’s more likely than not that the wiring is your problem. In some cases, when you try to start the vehicle and you get a single "click", it’s caused by the battery not having enough cranking amps. However, it can also be caused by a faulty ground, a bad starter or ignition relay or the starter itself. If you’re restoring the vehicle, it’s probably a good idea to by a new wiring kit and start from scratch, by also replacing the starter and ignition relay as well. Also, if you’ve recently painted the interior, check the ground connection; as some times fresh paint will cause a bad contact.
Have a car question? Get free advice from our top-rated mechanics.
Our certified mechanics come to you ・Backed by 12-month, 12,000-mile guarantee・Fair and transparent pricing