Q: Q: car wont start

It was freezing last night, well below zero, so i expected my car to struggle starting, but i did get it started, for about 10 seconds. it died, and now it just turns over, occasionally firing up for a second. I got some starting fluid and sprayed into the air intake to see if it could give it a little help, but it makes no difference. It has plenty of gas in it, and I get gas from a store that has good tanks, so no frozen gas lines (i hope). It ran just fine the night before. first time it has happened.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The cold weather can cause a wide variety of problems for your vehicle. You can start by testing for spark and fuel pressure to make sure the engine is receiving what it needs in that respect. Also consider the oil and how the cold weather causes it to become thick and lose its characteristics. Try using a thinner oil that will warm up quicker (but stay within your manufacturer’s specifications). Also, one of the most important component is the battery and charging system. Car batteries do not fare well in cold weather. You may also want to check the alternator. It may be causing the spark voltage to be low or non-existent. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. Q: car wont start