Q: Car won't stay started without gas pedal down

I had a water leak and had to constantly fill it up with water. One day, it cut out. I had the leak fixed, but now it won't stay started unless I hold the gas pedal down, and turn the fan on to cool down the motor.

It sounds as though severe engine damage may have occurred, due to overheating. If a vehicle is allowed to overheat even once, extensive damage, such as a cracked cylinder head or blown head gasket, may result. However, before we assume the worst, I suggest you have a professional inspect your vehicle firsthand. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option, since we make house calls.

3. Car won't stay started without gas pedal down