Q: car won't start

I bought my car used and had no problems until today. It won't start and smells like gas. It won't turn over when trying to start it, but it tries to. When you first turn the key you can hear a electronic noise coming from underneath the car. What could be wrong?

The electronic noise is most likely the fuel pump operating. The gas smell is concerning. A fuel leak could be dangerous and the risk of an engine compartment fire could result if the vehicle operates for any period of time.

One thing to check aside from a fuel leak is the induction system. If a hose or induction tube comes loose, then you may have too much air during startup and the vehicle will not start.

Another possibility could be leaky injectors flooding out the engine on a cold start. Fuel pressure should be monitored during the startup. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will be able to diagnose and correct the fuel smell and start up issue.