Q: Car won't start unless jumped - 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

Car not startin rplaced starter and alternator no effect charged battery for 21/2 hours car ran great for 24 hrs noe appears battery is again drained and car only starting when jumped

A: Hello. At first it definitely sounds like t...

Hello. At first it definitely sounds like the battery may have failed. Have you had this tested? If the battery will not hold a charge, you may technically be running on the alternator when driving. You should also get a battery that is best for your vehicle and environment.

Does the time frame that the vehicle is off make a difference? If the battery will restart right away, and not when it sits for a while, you may have a power drain. These are also known as parasitic draws. They can come from any electrical device that is typically on when the vehicle is on. Radios, security systems, lights, and anything aftermarket usually are to blame.

If you’re unable to pinpoint the issue yourself, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home to diagnose the battery drain firsthand and make the necessary repairs to your vehicle.