Q: Car won't start; jiggled fan sensor and it started

When I was leaving work, my car wouldn't start. There was no sound when I turned the key and all the lights on the dashboard turned on, so I assume it’s not the battery. My neighbor jiggled the fan sensor and the car started, then I turned it off, tried it again and it wouldn’t start. Can the fan sensor prevent the car from starting or are there other wires that could cause this?

A: Hello there. Many different components can ...

Hello there. Many different components can cause the vehicle not to start. The most likely causes of a no start are the battery, starter, wiring issue, battery cables or many different sensors. If the wire has wiggled, you may have a battery cable or wiring issue. The first place technicians will always start with a no start condition is to load test the battery, as this is the most common cause. A qualified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your starting issue and perform any repairs that are needed.