Q: Car won't start, I think it's the battery but I'm not sure.

Last night I tried to start my car but it wouldn't turnover. I assumed it was the battery so I called a friend for a jumpstart. He accidentally switched the red and the black cables when he put them on my battery and his car died, so we called another friend and he put it on correctly but the car still wouldn't start. It makes a series of clicking noises when you try to start it and the radio and the inside lights flicker but they don't stay on. We checked the relay and it was fine, and we don't think there's anything wrong with the starter because it makes a series of clicking noises when you try to start it. Does that mean I just have to replace the battery?

The clicking noise you hear is either a sign of a battery that is too weak to turn the motor over or a starter solenoid that is faulty. The starter solenoid is located on the starter and has internal electrical contacts that transmit electricity to the starter. When this fails, it may cause a clicking sound and will not allow the starter to engage the flywheel when you turn the key. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your starter.

3. Car won't start, I think it's the battery but I'm not sure.