Q: Car won't start

I noticed whilst driving in 2nd gear it started to judder as if it was losing power, the next day I was on a 20-30 minute journey and the car seemed ok, I went to start it back up around 5 hours later and it sounds like it is trying to start but won't catch, a friend said it seems as it's being starved of something, but there's over 1/4 tank of fuel, I assume the battery is fine as there is power to the car, any info would be much appreciated thank you

A: Hello. Thank you for writing in. The issue ...

Hello. Thank you for writing in. The issue is very likely related to fuel, spark, or sensor of some kind. If any diagnostic troubleshooting codes have been stored, you may be able to access them with the vehicle off. These will help significantly with diagnosis. If you are having a fuel issue, you can spray starter fluid in the air intake before trying to start the car. If the vehicle starts, or works better than before, then you are having a gas delivery issue. The more official way to test fuel is hooking up an in-line gauge and attempting to start it. This will tell you the fuel pressure available for the engine when starting. You can also use a spark tester to verify that the spark plugs are receiving the proper spark. Either way, there is no way to tell what is causing the starting issues without further testing.

A: Hi there. The no start condition could be c...

Hi there. The no start condition could be caused by any number of failed components. The apparent loss of power (judder) in 2nd gear, may have been a loss in fuel pressure and the beginning stage of a failing fuel pump which is now, failed. A faulty fuel pump relay, faulty ECM (engine control module) relay, or faulty CKP (crankshaft position) sensor, could all create a no start condition. There are other possibilities and proper diagnoses should be performed to avoid unnecessary repairs. I recommend having your vehicle's no start be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.