Q: Car won't start

The car over heated and the air intake sucked in a lot of coolant the throttle body was extremely dirty and gummed up had to clean it with a razor blade the plugs are also fouled and the plugs were changed about 5000 miles ago. When the car does start it runs briefly and dies out sounds like a timing issue or bad misfire.

There may be multiple issues going on here that may all ultimately contribute to a misfiring situation. If the throttle body is still gummed up, this will obviously create an issue with fuel/air flow. The spark plugs may also be fouled due to excessive fueling of the motor which may also contribute to a misfire.

Engine misfires can be caused by many different problems and are generally caused by either a spark or fuel issue or in some cases, a combination of both. Spark related problems generally will result from things like ignition coils, crankshaft position sensor, spark plugs, spark plug wires or ignition modules not working properly. When the misfire results from a fuel related issue, this is commonly related to a lean fuel condition (lack of sufficient fuel supply to the motor). Fuel related misfires can be caused by many different things such as low fuel pressure, faulty or dirty fuel injectors, a faulty O2 sensor, a dirty or failing mass air flow sensor, a faulty or dirty idle air control valve or a vacuum or intake leak. When the fuel supplied to the combustion chamber is insufficient, this results in an ignition (spark) that is igniting a less than balanced load of fuel and air. This results in a misfire or an explosion in the cylinder that is much less powerful than the other cylinders. This creates a loss of power that resonates throughout the motor additionally causing other problems with ignition and fuel timing. Due to the number of different things that may cause an engine misfire, the quickest and easiest way to diagnose this type of problem is to hook the vehicle up to a scanning tool which will download any potential fault codes that may have registered in the vehicle’s computer as a result of the poor running condition. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your misfiring problem.