Q: Car won't start.

A week ago car was running just fine, but one night it turned slow and didn't start. I tried it again and it fired right up. Thinking nothing of it I kept driving as usual. The next night it experienced no problems until I got home. I shut the car off after driving about 15 miles to get my mail. When I went to start it a few minutes later it wouldn't start, again the slow turning. This time, however, a clicking and whirring noise was coming from my dash and my trip odometer and other trip info auto reset itself. the next morning it started right up. For a day or two it would only have trouble starting when the engine was hot, but it would turn a little slower than usual and if it didn't start the dash noise would happen with the resets. Battery voltage always read fine no matter what. Yesterday it wouldn't start at all, still making the usual dash problems. This time a clicking noise was coming from driver's side mid way up the car. Starter maybe? But what's with the dash stuff?

If voltage drops too low, due perhaps to too much current being drawn when you actuate the starting circuit, that voltage drop can adversely affect the dash indicators that you are referring to. What you should do is have the battery load tested. If the battery turns out to be faulty, replace it and see if the situation is resolved. If the battery passes a load test, then the starter circuit should be tested, including the starter, as that is where it sounds like the fault is. If you desire that a certified mechanic perform all of the required diagnostic steps to resolve the issue that you are writing in about, please request a hard start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get your car functioning normally again. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Car won't start.