Q: Car won't start

After pulling and checking fuses with light between battery+ post and cable to see if light went out to find circuit that has a ground fault no luck because problem is intermittent now car wont start. Checked and rechecked all wires and connections and all I could see. Any suggestions?

A: Hi there! There first thing to check is you...

Hi there! There first thing to check is your battery voltage. This can be done with a multi-meter. Simply place the red probe to the positive terminal and the black probe to the negative terminal, you should get at LEAST 12.5 volts for your car to start and 13.5 to 14.5 to indicate that your battery is charged. If you don’t have at least 12.5 volts, then the battery will need to be replaced.

Being that this is intermittent, keep the red probe on the positive terminal and place the black probe at the area of where the ground cable attaches to the engine (not on the ground cable itself). Check voltage, if there is any voltage drop the negative cable will need to be replaced.

If you have good voltage, do a wiggle test - simply wiggle the ground cable and see if that causes any change in your voltage reading. The starter can be removed and tested to make sure the solenoid is operating and if the started engages. If the starter solenoid is bad you will need to replace the starter . Also, if you still have power to all accessories, but it will not start, the starter relay may be bad. If you need help having this taken care of, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the starting problem so that the right repairs can be performed.