Q: Car won't start, but lights turn on.

I'm curious if my car won't start because the key may need programming?

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. I'd be...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I'd be happy to provide my insight.

Jaguar has been using chip (programmable) keys since 1998. If you have bought a new key but have not yet gone through the programming routine, the key will not start the car. Chip keys, even once programmed, sometimes malfunction and that can lead to a no-start condition as well.

If you are sure you have a properly programmed key and yet the car will not start, consider bringing in a technician from YourMechanic to come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose the issue for you.