Q: Car won't start - 1989 Pontiac 6000

The car will start on a jump, but not by its self. I replaced the battery and the alternator. Might be the starter. When you try to start it, it turns really slow, and eventually, not at all.(losing charge) but starts on a jump. I tried jump starting it and letting it run for an hour, still wouldn't start back up on its own

A: Hi there. Although it could be the starter ...

Hi there. Although it could be the starter that is drawing too many cranking amps (usually caused by a starter relay issue), you might have a different electrical problem (such as a ground issue) that is causing the hard start problems.

It's also possible that you have an ignition system issue, where the ignition timing is too far advanced. Since there are multiple components that could be causing your Pontiac issues, you might want to have a professional mechanic complete an electrical system inspection to pinpoint the source of your hard starting issues.