Q: Car won’t shift properly

My car won’t always shift into 1st gear or reverse. I have known it to take up to six time for it to shift properly. I took it to the dealership and before picking it up, I was told that it had a whole new handbrake. Does the handbrake have anything to do with it not shifting and can you tell me how and what to explain to them?

A: Hi there! The handbrake won’t have a thing ...

Hi there! The handbrake won’t have a thing to do with the vehicle not shifting gears. You may have an issue with your brake pedal sensor though. When you hit the brakes the brake pedal sensor will send a signal to the transmission which will unlock the transmission and allow it to shift gears.

If the brake pedal sensor is not functioning properly it may not be sending signal to the transmission to unlock. I suggest that you have a technician, such as the ones provided by Your Mechanic, to evaluate your Fiat first hand and diagnose your brake system. They can perform a test on your brake pedal position switch and inspect your shift linkages. If the shift linkages are out of specification it may be difficult or impossible to shift gears.