Q: Car won't crank or start

My car's ignition won't crank or start. My dashboard lights and headlights light up fine. I put my foot on the brake, put it in neutral, and it started. The battery and connections look fine.

You may have an issue with your neutral safety switch. This switch is what prevents the vehicle from being started while in gear. The switch may not be recognizing that the transmission has been placed in park but it will recognize neutral. I would recommend having this switch tested by a professional to check its integrity. If the switch is bad, the vehicle may never start in park again until it is replaced.