Q: Car will turn off and begin to coast

I've had a very frightning experience. While driving, my SUV stopped totally and started coasting, plus the dashboard went dark. I coasted to the side of the road and put my car in Park - and it started! What in the world happened and what should I do?

This is a problem that I have not encountered before and may not be common. I would have the computer tested to see if a failure code was stored when the problem happened as this could help a technician identify the failure or a possible reason for the stall and loss of power. If no codes are stored, then it may be hard to find the problem without a visual inspection. I would have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your car’s stalling issue and determine what needs to be repaired.

3. Car will turn off and begin to coast